Saturday, April 11, 2009

cost cutting - my jeepney experience

I decided to take a jeepney today... One of my crazy cost cutting measures just to save money for my Big Plan.

So I woke up early so that I wouldn't be late for work. I could get lost you know. As if! haha My clock said 3:00AM. It was too early for a 6:00AM shift. Normally, it would only take about 30 minutes.

Riding jeepneys at this hour could be scarier. The streets were still empty. I mean there a few people roaming around, strangers some where my neighbors. As I walked my way to the main street, I realized today is a holiday. Not that I don’t have a work... cause I follow US holidays. Number of jeepneys is lesser than normal which is already less for this hour. Does that make sense?

Just as I arrived at the waiting shed, the first jeepney just took off. Just my luck! Ok fine, I had to wait for the next one, which came 10 minutes after. While waiting, cabs were very tempting. No... Its a jeepney day today I said to myself.

The jeepney was over loaded. As in, it was full packed. So, I squeezed myself in. What I hate about riding jeepneys early in the morning is the stinking breath of the passengers. Gawd! While you are so dressed up for work, some people just don’t brush their teeth nor take a quick shower. I swear I could smell their stinking bed. (Yeah that was I being mean! hahaha)

In all fairness to these early birds, they are hard working. I mean waking up early to go to Carbon market or Pasil (Fish Market) for the day’s income and all. So I just shut up. I didn’t want them to notice me as someone maarte so I acted as calm as possible. Then, I realized I took the wrong jeepney. Nice luck to start the day!

So I alighted. I waited for 15 minutes. No jeepney. I started to lose my patience. My mind was battling to take a cab. Cabs were really inviting... No cab for today I continuously said to myself... It is a jeepney day!

I decided to take a different route. So I walked 2 blocks from Colon to San Carlos. I felt sweat started to stream at my back already. I hate jeepneys. I really do. Then, I had to wait again.

Another 10 minutes passed. I was about to give up and decided to take the next cab that will pass by when a jeepney arrived. It was full. Worried that I will be late for work, I got in. No seats. Not even an extension seat. Not to make fuzz out of it or be sissy for that matter, I decided to cling like a monkey with all the wind and dust in the world... worse than blow drier..

Hey, I almost forgot... in the eyes of those people, I’m straight. So I acted like one. I faked it but seriously, I was damned scared that I would fall... haha! But I have done it before though... back in college.. a lot of times.. for the heck of it... hahaha

I loosen my grip... I would not want the guy beside me to take a hint... I'm no sissy! haha
Good thing none of them were cute... or l would be distracted. Another good thing, straight guys don’t have radar! They are clueless. Damn clueless. Haha!

As I waited for the next jeepney to my last stop, it started to drizzle. Good grief! The last thing I wanted happen is to go to work soaking wet!

When I arrived, I thought I deserve a warm cup of coffee! Then the rain poured heavily! Too bad we don’t have Starbucks in our building. And Bo’s coffee was closed for the holiday. Mc Donald’s will do... Sorry guys I’m not ready to cost cut my coffee yet! Hahahaha

More cost cutting tips coming....

10 comments:

  1. ha! See... I'm not the only one who hates jeepneys! peace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never take jeepeneys. Call me elitist. I just don't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll wait for other cost-cutting measures from you. hehehe

    I walk when I don't want to spend for jeepneys. hehehe I love waking. It's my time to think... and I think a lot. hehehe

    Have a good one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. you already heard my stand on this. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i miss your city, but not the jeepneys...hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Demigoddess

    oh sure we do are... but in desperate times like this... what can I do... hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  7. @the geek

    hahaha... food is good here.. hehehe ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Joaqui

    I love to walk too... except if the sun is up.. hahah

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love riding the jeepneys!!!! mas mabilis kesa mag FX or mag taxi. kaskasero kasi!

    pero nag j jeep lang ako kapag wala akong dalang laptop. hihihihi

    ReplyDelete