Thursday, April 16, 2009

A Cup in Hand - Lets Talk

A cup of coffee starts my day.
I always take time like about 2 hours before my shift to stay at Bo's for my hot coffee mocha.
I love Starbucks really but we don't have Starbucks in our building, sad to say.
Light a couple of sticks of cigarette.
Somehow warms up my day or should I say night since am on a night shift.
Life of a typical call center agent.

Over time I have met people from different accounts.
They have the same routine as mine.
Eventually we became friends.
We love to talk about anything but work.
Aside from the fact about non-disclosure agreement, it just pukes us to talk about work.

Except for this one. She asked me why I'm leaving.
I told her it is about a lot of things.
One of them is the promotion that I had been working so hard yet I did not ace it.
I told her about how I feel and all... that I'm better than some other applicants who got the position.
Call it bitterness I don’t care anymore... Life has to go on for me and my mind is fixed about going to Manila anyway.

Here's the irony.

She got promoted. Different position from what I applied for.
It bothers her how other applicants think of her. I mean, questions about why she got the position.
These people think they are better than her and all the bitterness.. just like what I did (I think)
Seriously, why is she telling me this? when I feel the same way. Although not towards her. (remember we did not apply for the same position)
She asked for comfort and what I think about it... ( I guess that's what friends are for)

Damn she is really affected. So here's my cents about it ( I should know better I was on their shoe right)

1. When I said I'm better than some other applicants who got the job, I did not tell them on their faces that I'm better than them! Of course not. Although I have proofs that I'm way better! hahaha (can you smell bitterness) I maybe mean but that is not how I crush people hearts. It’s not cool. I sleep with their boyfriends that’s how! Hahaha. See, I can laugh about it now...

2. Told her that these people are not mad at her... They are mad at themselves and on the situation. One time she mentioned that her enemies are growing. I told her not to consider them her enemies, she'll be working with them... and that some of them might be under her. It will pass.

3. She said it's difficult to handle them. Yes indeed because they are as experienced as her. Told her to recognize their strengths more. But also make a room for improvement. No one is perfect!

4. Work with them and not against them. Although, not to the point she'll kiss their ass!. Told her "Girl, you have to remember always that you are now ahead of them." but keep your feet on the ground.

5. There are agents that have attitudes.. I guess like me... Delegate tasks but not responsibility!

6. Told her it’s not their time yet. I believe in perfect timing. But my time in this company is up!. Life is a continuous learning process. Once you’re stuck in your comfort zone, learning stops as well! (I got that from my manager)

7. Read Maxwell’s books.. they are available in Fully Booked. They only cost about $500

8. There is always a good way to say bad things. Before doing PEP sessions, prepare your words. Some agent are sensitive. Don’t start a sentence with a NO! ( I can be good sometimes.. hahah)

9. I believe in Fish philosophy!

10. Enjoy the promotion! She deserves it I told her!


there... Hope you learn something... I realized that I'm good... and if this company can't see that... I'm hoping that there's one out there who can!

By the way, S, thank you for the cup of coffee and congratulations. I'm happy for you.... Seriously!

3 comments:

  1. haha, this reminds me of what happened recently at my office. people would either kiss your ass or bite it, hehe.

    i'm good. no longer on the late shift. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it sucks... I'm not the type who kiss ass..

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a bad case of seriously licking other people's bottom for the promotion... And you are correct, were all should know our worth... We are indeed better than others...

    ReplyDelete